Sunday, February 27, 2011

The Outcast by Sadie Jones


'Gilbert, am I all right, do you think? You're lovely.
All right for him? All right for anybody'


That's the conversation between Lewis's future stepmother and his father~ Gilbert. For a while I thought everything will be going well for this troubled young boy. But I was wrong.

From a very young age, Lewis was confused by his parents relationship and his mom's alcoholic daze behaviour. Nevertheless they are his parents and he loves them. Until tragedy strikes and his luck and life seems to spiral down from there. As a young man, he's confused. People misunderstood him, he can't even understand himself which lead him into doing harmful things to his surroundings and himself.

p331 Lewis walks towards the Carmichael's house ... (I can't read anymore. Can't stand the suspense of what Dicky ~ Tamsin's abusive and arrogant father would do to Lewis). Dont know how many times I closed the book with my heart beating fast fearing for Lewis. A few beats went by before I felt brave enough to look at the pages again and read on.

And then there is Kit (Tamsin's younger, plain-jane looking sister). Whom had a secret crush on the much older Lewis. Both Kit and Lewis shared a same bond which neither of them knew at that time. They were both considered difficult and different from the other 'normal' family members. They were both an 'outcast' so to speak.

p433 I can feel myself smirking when Kit said to her mom `but when I'm gone, don't you think it will be your turn again, Mother?'
Domestic violence will never stop or go away by itself, if you keep quiet about it.

There is no justice at the end of this story, well not the kind that I'm looking for. But at least, I believe there is peace in Lewis's very turmoil mind.

p440 'Look Lewis, Kit said holding her arms out wide 'We're saved!'

1 comment:

Trotter said...

Hi Leo! Doesn't seem too appealing for my taste...

Blogtrotter Two is strolling in Southern France amidst the best of the perfumes... Enjoy and have a great week!!