Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Private View by Jean McNeil

At the start of this book there were various cliche lines ie. a world of good, get a life to name a few. It was a very slow start for me which was expected.

'A life is what you accept to live. A life can be something very small, something very strange. A life can be anything' so says the book.

I had a tough time understanding the pronoun 'she' in this book. She who? Alex - Erica - Rachel? Who? And is Alex a girl or a guy? That's how confusing the writing is. There was no significant storyline so what am I suppose to look forward to? What? Urrgghh ... it was so frustrating!

Fortunately the pace seemed to pick up by page 157. Not the storyline but me, the reader.

On page 173, I found out about diagnoseyourself.com. It reminds me of a similar sympthom on my face - tingling, twiching just below my eyes, on my cheek = stress; but I found out about it in Merck's Manual.

p174, categories of love in Greek Thought:

agape - altruistic love

pragma - understanding that exists between a long established married couple

ludes - playful affection of children and between casual lover

storge - the love between siblings or people who have gone thru much together

eros - sexual passion

mania - obsession

This is a so-called intellectual book which I hate so much. My agony finally ended on June 22 and it took me 2 months later to blog about it.




No comments: