Sunday, September 19, 2010

Running With Scissors by Augusten Burroughs


Shocking, twisted, gross, funny and full of bizarre characters. Too strange.

Everybody in the book was nuTs; to the the T!

I kept turning to the back page of the book to look at the author's picture (the book is labelled as memoir). But I cannot picture him as the real protagonist in the story. I had Kurt (the character from TV series Glee) came to the picture which to me fits the bill.

p174 - toilet bowl reading episode was eeww ... gross!
p191 - phlegm episode ... yucks!

The story was disturbing especially when you consider it was suppose to be based on a true account. Most of the time I can't make up my mind on whether to sympathise (usually my first impression) or to laugh out loud (mostly due to the way it was written)at their misfortune or turn of events. To be honest, I'm not prepared to consider any of the events stated in this book as true - some were just too strange and I dare say sick!
Nevertheless from time to time this saying kept creeping to my mind - fact is stranger than fiction. The fact that the book was totally weird and strange, it prompt me to consider that it may not be fiction too. This brought a stream of critiques from my book read group. Unbeknownst to me, there was already a heated debate out there on the said book and the possibility that the story was fabricated. Not to mention a law suit from people potrayed (I quote) harshly in the book.

Anyways I enjoyed the book ... fabricated or otherwise.

2 comments:

leo said...

Hey Anon., thanx for dropping a line. Do visit again.

Anonymous said...

Good point, though sometimes it's hard to arrive to definite conclusions