Sunday, May 20, 2007

Ordinary Mom vs Super Mum




These cards were given to me by my boys on Mother’s Day. Aren’t they cute? The red heart shape was from Danial (given 2 days earlier) and the big one was made by Danish wt the aid from the younger bro too. I asked Danial what is your role in the big huge card. He answered ‘ambik barang’!(the big bro used his little brother to fetch things for him ie. scissor, glue, color pens etc).

I think the lucky one here is me … because I have them. To my boys, I am the best mom. But if you were to ask me, to be honest I don’t think I deserve such praise. Well maybe not yet. There are so many things that as a mother I still don’t know how and still learning.

When I was a young kid, I use to fill up forms in school where it asked about your family background and I remembered writing 30 something for my own mother’s age. At that age, my mother was a mother in every sense. She cooks deliciously. Whereas me now depend on cookbooks or her recipe to prepare even the simplest meal. My mother can cook a complete meal in the speed of light even before you think you are hungry –talk about efficient! Plus different type of dishes to satisfy our different taste buds. My dad eats chili hot stuffs, me (the mat salleh) don’t take chili even in chili sauce whilst my younger bro is so lazy that he refuses to eat ie. crab bcos it requires more then the usual effort to eat so he prefers simple dish. So my mom ended up wt several dishes on the table; all cooked in a jiffy. Me on the other hand, would be lucky if I don’t cut or burnt any of my fingers during cooking and if the rest of my family don’t die starving first before they can taste my cooking. I’m so slow in kitchen. Angah used to say that I cook like those in the TV cooking shows. Every ingredient must be prepared before I start and the kitchen must look tidy during my endeavour. That according to him contributes to my slowness. Well, thank you Mr. Hubby for the analyze. I am my hardest critic in my cooking, bcos I've taste good cooking before but my family esp. Angah loves anything that I prepare and always encourage me.

My mom also knew 1001 remedies for all common illnesses to treat me and my brothers. I remember having to drink milk + ginger concoction every time I suffered stomach ache. She’s very good in giving us back rub and massage. Although back then, you don’t appreciate it as much bcos you think your mom purposely tormented you to drink weird mixture and massage your heel so hard that any scream from you will be rewarded with an even harder press. In addition, my mom sews our house curtains and cushion covers (my family is lucky if I managed to fix a loose button every now and then), kept the house squeaky clean and stays immaculate all the time (mind you, she was an ex-Pageant Queen before!). But my mother never pressure me to be like her. Instead, she wants me to be better. And of cos' she never sees her only daughter as incapable of doing anything even though the truth is I am so much incompetent.

Compare my mom to me, I’m not even 40% close to her capability. Yet, I’ve earned the best mom title from my two boys. I know I can’t be like my super mother but I will be the best mom for my two boys even if it takes my entire life to learn how.

I'm thankful that I still have my mother around, so I could easily pick up the phone and ask 'mak, how do you make' bla! bla! But the best thing of all is that being a mother myself makes me appreciate my own mother very much and understand why she did the things she did for me and my siblings.

To all mothers out there, I know every day SHOULD be Mother's Day.
Have a blessed one.