Sunday, March 7, 2010

Rosie by Alan Titchmarsh

'Oh yes, funny isnt it? Vic is 10 but more like 40. You are 39 and more like 70 and I'm 87 going on 30! Nobody's the age they seem, are they?'
Cute - is my summation of the whole book especially of its main character Rosie. I wish I will grow old as gracefully as Rosie. But most importantly the book taught me to live life to the fullest, NOW. Not tomorrow, not when ... and not what ifs ... but now irregardless of what your current age is.

This book is part of selected compilation made by Reader's Digest in 2004. I had it for ages but never read. I'm currently reading another heavy volume book which hasnt got much progress so I cheated by pulling out this book which has several stories in it so I can at least finish one story. I was rearranging some photo albums when I came across the book.

Below is a poem found from the book. I like it, unfortunately it is about death; second time in 2 weeks I'm writing about the subject. But the words are encouraging, light hearted and surprisingly alive.


Do not stand at my grave and weep

I am not there. I do not sleep

I am a thousand winds that blow

I am the diamond glints on snow

I am the sunlight on ripened grain

I am the gentle autumn rain


When you awaken in the morning's hush

I am the swift uplifting rush

Of quiet birds in circled flight

I am the soft stars that shine at night


Do not stand at my grave and cry:

I am not there. I did not die.

4 comments:

gmr14 said...

hi leo
how are you doing?..
i'm so glad to be in such nice, wonderful and informative blog..
keep it up..
and by the way that poem is beautiful, despite its talking about death..
have a nice time..
regards.. to u from gmr14

leo said...

Hi gmr14, yeah, in a way the poem is sort of inspiration for the 'livings' too right? thanks for stopping by. Do visit again.

Trotter said...

Hi Leo! I'll check that book... Interesting poem!

Blogtrotter 2 is still in Jamaica. Enjoy and have a great weekend!!

Kerry Droll said...

I want to check out the book - I grew up with a mother who loved everything Reader's Digest so I'm sure I'll love it.