Sunday, June 13, 2010

Friends, Lovers & Chocolate by Alexander McCall Smith

Read this book in April but didnt get to write about it till now.

The story is about Isabel Dalhousie who is a philosopher and a part-time general editor of the Review of Applied Ethics - and this statement is repeated over & over again through out 277 pages!


I was intrigued to read more of the book not because of the moral and ethics struggle (not to mention lengthy elaboration) suffered by Isabel but mainly bcos she happened to fall 'in like' (in love would be unethical word for her to admit) with a younger man whom was an ex-boyfriend to her niece. She was in her early forties whilst he's in mid twenties.

I so wanted her to tackle that issue head on. Alas it didnt happen. So much for wishful thinking. All thru out the book I can't connect with the character and her feelings' issue until I realised that the author is a guy. Don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to be a gender-ist here. It's just my justification on why I can't understand Isabel's stand on her emotional issue. But I do understand that Mc Call has several books under the woman detective series. Maybe it's just me.

I wonder what's the chocolate in the title was all about bcos there were only a few lines about it. Cheese would have been a better choice.

No comments: