Thursday, June 12, 2008

Angela's Ashes - A Memoir by Frank Mc Court


'Worse than the ordinary miserable childhood is the miserable Irish childhood, and worse yet is the miserable Irish Catholic childhood'

and the story begins. This is the most depressing ... (I must stress on the word depressing bcos it really was) but at the same time most funniest, book I have ever read. I never thought such combination is possible but yet Frank McCourt was able to pull it brilliantly in his memoir. Most of the time, I don't know whether to cry or to laugh and at the end I did both (which made me looked pretty ridiculous). It helps when hubby is away in a far away country like Spain therefore no one can witness my pathetic display of emotion (which he is sooo used to :)

(at 10 years old) 'Priests and Masters told us that Confirmation means you are a true soldier of the Church and that entitles you to die and be a martyr in case we're invaded by enemies of the Church. More dying. I want to tell them I wont be able to die for the Faith because I'm already booked to die for Ireland'

The story is from the perspective of a very young boy as young as 2 years old till he was about 18 years of age. Emotion is very, very raw and honest. I love the simplicity and pureness of this boy and his brothers, both in their actions and thoughts. We all have been there before. Being kids. So that's why I guess, this book really strike a chord at me. And on top of it all, these kids were really, really poor in the merciless cold and wet climate of Ireland. So they were constantly hungry and stayed hungry. Which was very sad. Whilst I constantly in battle to force my boys to eat!!!

'The next Saturday there's no telegram (from Dad)nor the Saturday after nor any Saturday forever. Mam begs again at the St Vincent de Paul Society ... and smiles when (other people) have their bit of a joke about Dad having a tart in Piccadilly. Michael (4 year old brother) wants to know what a tart is and she tells him it's something you have with tea.' note: to laugh or cry?

'We have no money for a proper ball (to play soccer) so one of the boys brings a sheep's bladder stuffed with rags'.

Food was very scarce for them. So they were very appreciative of any little that come their way (usually in a form of bread crumb and even cooking grease that stuck on the newspaper!!)

Most of the time I found myself flipping to the back page to see the author's picture - trying to make the sense of it all especially when the accounts become too horrific for a boy to endure ... but he did and survived to tell it all.

I'm sooo glad I found this book. It showed and proved the power of human spirit and we are after all only human. It is indeed a gem. 5 stars from me. I learned that there is a continuation of this memoir called 'Tis, hope I can find it.

and I'm very grateful and thankful for every bite of food, I have.

p/s did I tell you that this book is also the winner of the pulitzer prize? Awesome isnt it?


6 comments:

Kerry Droll said...

I haven't read the book but it was a fantastic movie.

leo said...

kerry -you've seen the movie? i have to be contend wt only the book. i guess the movie would be too sad for me :(

GMG said...

Hi Leo! Sorry for having taken so long to get back here again. Another hectic week…
I've taken note of this one, and will look for it at the bookshop!!
Thanks for your comments at Blogtrotter, still in Santiago de Compostela, now inside the Cathedral… Hope you enjoy, and have a nice weekend!

leo said...

gil, hope u enjoy the book as much as i do. i still havent seen hubby's pic of the cathedral, guess i have to depend on yours which im sure are pretty amazing ^_^

Joane said...

The book is a gem. It touches my heart deeply that I cried in almost everything that happened especially when Frank's mother begged for food in order to fill their empty stomachs. It is always heart-rending to know of mothers sacrificing themselves a lot for the sake of their children. Mothers are truly noble persons and one of life's greatest gifts. Their love is so unconditional that they don't mind suffering and sacrificing for the welfare of their children. The book also speaks hugely of indescribable poverty and hardship. It is so touching. It must appeal to everyone to be sensitive to our poor brothers and sisters. They are part of this great world and thus deserve a rightful place and decent status. May God bless your family Frank. I believe your experience molded you to be a more compassionate person. God bless you. God sees everything you suffered and will truly reward you with countless graces and God already does.Keep up the good work! You're an instrument of God's love so we can appreciate every blessing and be kind to anyone at all times.

leo said...

hi joane
oh i'm so glad you enjoyed the book too. it is a gem indeed! it touched you deeply long after you have finished reading the book. thanx for visiting and leaving a comment too. do drop by again.